Valley Forge General Hospital Marker
On October 27, 2012, the ceremony honoring the Valley Forge General Hospital's new Pennsylvania historical marker was held. The Society with the cooperation of the Valley Forge Christian College and the community conducted the ceremony. The speakers were from the Society, the Valley Forge Christian College, the Community, and several elected officials including PA Senator Andrew Diniman, PA Representative Duane Miles, and PA Representative Warren Kampf. The marker is on the college's property, which is the former site of the Valley Forge General Hospital. Below is a slide show of photos taken during the ceremony.
The Valley Forge General Hospital was built during World War II. The facility was built on 182 acres of farm fields in Charlestown Township, Chester County, on land acquired from the Frank Foster family for $25,000. It was built in under a year at a cost of about $10 million. Construction started in May of 1942 and it opened on Washington's Birthday in 1943. It had over 100 buildings many of which were connected by underground tunnels and a labyrinth of corridors.
The facility could treat over 3,000 patients at a time and treated over 200,000 patients. It had a staff of about 1,600 people. It was the second largest military hospital on the East Coast and only Walter Reed in Washington, DC was larger. Pioneering medical research was conducted in burn treatment and plastic surgery, eye surgery, and rehabilitation. The base also housed about 250 German and Italian POWs. It served injured military personnel during World War II, Korea, and Vietnam. It closed in 1974.
click here to see some photos of the Valley Forge General Hospital.
Click to return to Top of Page