Historical Society of the Phoenixville Area

204 Church Street, Phoenixville, PA 19460

610-935-7646   hspa@verizon.net

www.hspa-pa.org   or   www.phoenixvillehistoricalsociety.org





 

 

 


Phoenixville Old Photos, Part I
 


Looking West on Bridge Street c. late 1950s


Pennsylvania Railroad Bridge over Schuylkill River


The Colonial Theatre was built in 1903 as a Vaudeville House and is the only surving theatre of four that once existed in Phoenixville.  The Colonial Theatre was featured in the 1958 science fiction hit movie, "The Blob" that starred Steve McQueen.


Looking East on Bridge Street at the Colonial Threatre & The Phoenix in the building with the columns


Bonnie Brae Park


Boy Brigade, Methodist Church, 1912


Griffen, Hill & Smith business card


Phoenixville Hospital Ambulance


Phoenix Iron Company workers, 1910


Phoenix Military Band


A Phoenixville, Valley Forge & Strafford Electric Railway trolley (PVF & S).   The Toonerville Trolley used the rails of the Phoenixville, Valley Forge and Strafford Electric Railway.  The trolley line was in use from 1910 to 1925.  The line was never completed to Strafford.


YMCA Building Hall and Main Streets


Two Bridges over French Creek


200 Block of Bridge Street looking West, 1923-1925


200 Block of Bridge Street, 1923-1925


An old Bridge Street post card


Bridge Street looking West, 1923-1925


3 Inch Phoenix Iron Co. made rifle at Stones River, VA


Gay Street looking North to Bridge Street


F. W. Woolworth Store at Bridge & Main Streets


Pottery Employees

Copyrighted Historical Society of Phoenixville Area
Phoenixville Hospital, 1909

Copyrighted Historical Society of Phoenixville Area
Bridge Street west of Gay Street, 1923 - 1925

Copyrighted Historical Society of Phoenixville Area
African American Civil War veteran's grave

Copyrighted Historical Society of Phoenixville Area
Looking North on Main Street from Church Street

Copyrighted Historical Society of Phoenixville Area
Old post card of Main Street Hill looking South

Copyrighted Historical Society of Phoenixville Area
Old Phoenixville Hospital

Copyrighted Historical Society of Phoenixville Area
Old photo of Paddy Dooley's School

Copyrighted Historical Society of Phoenixville Area
Phoenixville's oldest house, c. 1734

Copyrighted Historical Society of Phoenixville Area
An old photo of Phoenixville banks.  The bank shown on the right corner is the Farmers and Mechanics National Bank of Phoenixville.  It moved to this site at Church and Main Streets in August of 1888.  Its prior site was at Bridge and Bank Streets where it opened on March 25, 1872.

Copyrighted Historical Society of Phoenixville Area
Schuylkill Friends Meeting

Copyrighted Historical Society of Phoenixville Area
Site of the first Mennonite Meeting House

Copyrighted Historical Society of Phoenixville Area
Sketch of Phoenixville's first hospital

Copyrighted Historical Society of Phoenixville Area
Sketch of Yellow Springs, 1860

Copyrighted Historical Society of Phoenixville Area
Photo of the Gay Street Bridge, Phoenix Iron Co. is also seen in the background


Early 1950's photo of Main Street near Bridge Street looking north


Tunnel & Train crossing Schuylkill in Phoenixville in 1840


Gay Street photo looking South, 1923-1925


Phoenixville Ice Manufacturing Co.


Phoenix Iron Works, 1848


Phoenixville Public Library in 1907.  It was built in 1901.


Reading Railroad tower


Workers at Byrne Knitting Mill


Silk Mill


Thomas A. Evans Box Factory


Trolley - Phoenixville - Spring City


Train coming out of Black Rock Tunnel


Lock on Schuylkill Canal


A 1920s photo of Bridge & Main Streets


The old grandstand at Washington Field

 


Click to return to Top of Page